The 6 stages of our full architectural service and associated fees
There are six stages typical to our projects and they are described here. Architects’ fees are often charged on a percentage basis, meaning that once the construction cost of the house or extension is established (initially estimated and later adjusted once a contract is formed), a percentage of that sum forms the architect’s fee. In many cases, however, our clients choose to have fees levied at hourly rates. In either case, typical fees up to the commencement of construction range from 5% to 10% of the project costs (depending on size and complexity of the project).
The 4 stages to construction and their corresponding portion of fees (based on 7.5%) are as follows:
1. Project Assessment/Concept Plan – lump sum fee (see below) or hourly rate
2. Developed design/pre-tender estimate – 1.5% of construction cost or hourly rate
3. Final design and development approval – 2.5% of construction cost or hourly rate
4. Contract Documentation/Tenders/Building approval – 2.5% of construction cost or hourly rate
Two additional stages complete our services:
5. Construction services – 5.0% of construction cost or hourly rate
6. Post occupancy services – include in fees for stage 5
The first step – Project Assessment/Concept Plan
To commence our engagement, it is only necessary to make a commitment to this first and most creative stage of our services. Often this stage is quite speculative. It may be your first experience with an architect, your first building project; you might be unsure of your requirements and/or wish to explore all opportunities before making a commitment to proceed. All options are explored to make best us of the site opportunities and to imaginatively, yet practically interpret your requirements without losing site of your budgetary constraints.
Fees for this first stage are time charged ($180/hr principal architect and $120/hr project architect) or set as a fixed fee as follows (GST is in addition to our fees):
- Up to $200,000 $2,500 = $5,000
- Up to $400,000 $4,000 = $6,000
- Up to $600,000 $5,000 = $7,000
- Up to $800,000 $6,000 = $8,000
- Over $800,000 $7,000 = $9,000
The tender process and competitive savings
Our completed Contract Documents (detailed drawings and specifications) will be tendered to a small group of reliable quality builders that we have worked with before or have been referred by colleagues. Our survey of projects that recently went to tender shows that the prices varied by an average of over 15%, with the lowest tender being around 8% less than the average. This shows that our fees are largely offset by savings through the competitive tendering process.Learn more about the process we go through with our clients, including sample designs and documents.